Per Asperam Ad Astra

contact r_sail
all images © 2008

土曜日, 7月 7

Balance





















Back from vacation. I didn't end
up doing any drawing while I was
away, which was actually kinda nice.
It sort of made it a real vacation.

Lately, I've found myself in LOVE
with the brush. I've never really
been comfortable with a brush (not
for inking anyway), but all of a
sudden I feel like I've found out
how I'm supposed to use it... It's
more like a pencil than a pen. Now,
that's not to say that I'm at all a
master with the brush, but I feel like
I at least understand what I should
be going for. In a Sumi-Greg Ruth-
Jon J. Muth (Sandman 74) Zen kind
of fashion. Like, I can see it in my
head before I even start inking...
which, by the way, is the true way
of Sumi painting. You meditate for
hours, while preparing your ink, just
thinking about the drawing, and once
you set brush to paper, you already
know exactly how it should look, and
you just let it happen on it's own...
kinda blows my mind to think about.

I'm not quite there... but, I've at least
had a blast dragging my brush across
the page and seeing what sort of lines it
makes, anyway. Your mileage may vary.

3 Comments:

Blogger EntropicDesign said...

glad your back safe : )

3:28 午後  
Anonymous 匿名 said...

Brushes are the shit.

Now, are you attempting the meditation beforehand as well? It sounds like it would be a cool thing to try out.

And, I hope you had a good vacation.

8:00 午後  
Blogger Sail said...

Well, my ink comes in a bottle, so I'm not spending 6 or so hours actually making it. Which is when you meditate on it... but I don't start until I know what I'm going to do and can see it in my head... though, I still pencil it out first. So, kinda, sorta, yeah.

8:58 午後  

コメントを投稿

<< Home