Per Asperam Ad Astra

contact r_sail
all images © 2008

金曜日, 6月 1

Perceptions





















So, I was thinking about art walk
and how people percieve a piece.
Most people seem to feel that my
angel image is of a bloody wing...
I'm not going to say that it is or
isn't, because that isn't the point.

But, it's interesting to me that most
people seem to percieve it that way.
Is it that the color red insinuates
violence in the eyes of most people?
Is it that, on some level, she seems
to be in pain? Is it that she only has
one wing? Or is it that people simply
want to see violence on some level
even if it isn't actually there?

There is no dripping blood and her
wing doesn't feel mutilated to me.
Her pose suggests pleasure as much
as pain in my eyes... I liked the duality
of her pose. Once I'd made the wing
red it left it open to individual interpretions.
So, I'm not trying to fault anyone for
thinking it's a bloody wing, that is
certainly there for you to recognize.
I guess I find it interesting why people
respond to certain things, even if I'm not
one hundred percent sure why they do.

I dunno, just thinking about perceptions.
I'd love to hear what you think about the
wing, or my thoughts here. Which, I might
re word if I feel I can better express my
thoughts at some point in the future.

Anyway, I thought about how I would paint
an angel with bloody wings if I didn't want
the audience to be able to interpret it in
their own way (even if what it means to them
is far more important than what it means to
me, or what my intent is or was with the piece)
and well, it would be just terribly violent and
gory like this... enjoy!

7 Comments:

Blogger jscott said...

Can't say I ever took that piece as a bloody winged angel. Your use of color generally tends to give me a sense of mood rather than point out obvious references such as red means bloody wings.

9:18 午前  
Blogger Ester Wilson said...

you know, people are going to interpret images in their own way regardless of what the artist wants or tries to do, even when things get super literal. We all view the world based on different experiences, but as a whole it's fair to say that cultures have sets of symbols in imagery, and splashed red paint is probably a really strong symbol for violence, even if it's not intentional. I'm not sure I would say that the public all WANT to see violence, maybe it's more like it happens to instantly be recognizable for that symbol.

When I was younger, I used to draw really messed up things, and when people looked at them, I would get frustrated that all they saw was the subject, rather than the careful time and technique I had applied to the work. No one cared, they just thought about the content of what they saw, probably because not many people can relate to what it takes to draw out an image and how much practice you have to put into art. People wouldn't like the subjects, regardless of how beautifully drawn they were, and I would just feel frustrated.

All I'm saying in that, is that you may not be happy if you expect other people to consider your artwork the same way that you do, and if you want a little more control over what the viewer's reaction will be, then you can play with symbols and visual communication in that way.

11:01 午前  
Blogger Ester Wilson said...

your last few pieces of late have been super beautiful Sail!

11:02 午前  
Blogger EntropicDesign said...

She feels free to me, like she's dancing. The mood feels conflicting to me personally because the figure appears delicate, while the paint feels more aggressive.

I think its beautiful

I think I want you to draw me an angelic figure

11:56 午前  
Blogger Sail said...

Thanks, everybody.

Jeremy, yeah, that's pretty much how I go about things, I'd rather suggest a mood than dictate anything in concrete terms. Most of the time.

Jim, I think you've hit the nail on the head with your comment. To me, the image in this post is not dancing... but, if that's what you get out of it, that's really all that should matter to you. The image I was refering to is here: http://sailbot.blogspot.com/ it's a bit older, and you might not be familiar with it.

Ester, you're correct about the symbols in culture, and I think in this instance, red suggests violence. But, I wonder if it being an angel has something to do with that. Red doesn't always suggest violence. So, I wonder what it is about the specific image that suggests it. Obviously the image in this post (with the splatters, and tattered wings) is violent, but the other image seems almost peaceful, and graceful. Looking at it now, the fact that the entire wing isn't red might be a part of what suggests blood to people. I dunno, I just find peoples reactions interesting.

I have no interest in trying to control what people see or get out of my work. IT's up to them. When people ask me what I was thinking or what it means, I ask them what it means to them or what it makes them think of. Because that's far more important than what I think. Their reaction to it is what they should be concerned with. And it's what I'm more interested in... as I already know what I think. But I suppose that's why they ask me what I think, right? Heh.

I do like to see if people pick up on my intent, but I'm not mad if they don't. I'd probably be more literal and exact if I was concerned with that. Art is subjective and so are peoples reactions to it.

I'm curious what you mean by the 'really' messed up things' you used to draw? Care to elaborate? I thought you used to draw horses. ;)

5:23 午後  
Anonymous 匿名 said...

I think one of the reasons why I like your work, is that it does work on many levels, and even though yer a big old comic book geek boy, it leans more towards the art side of things.

8:25 午後  
Blogger Sail said...

Thanks, Robb. I think it's because I like artsy comics, and don't really like regular comics much. While I can appreciate the illustrations, it just isn't very inspiring to me.

I'd rather look at artists than illustrators.

8:33 午後  

コメントを投稿

<< Home