Per Asperam Ad Astra

contact r_sail
all images © 2008

日曜日, 2月 11

Stages

Ester asked about how I did this
image, and I'd been meaning to do
a stages post for a while so...

Had this been planned from the
start, I'd have scanned the pencils
and the inks without the inkwash.

but, I didn't.

This is the original drawing.
Done with pen and inkwash
















Then once I scanned it in to
Photoshop, I added the pattern
to her shirt using a sheet of
oragami paper (desaturated)
on a seperate layer behind
the initial drawing and cut
it to fit.

















Then I added some hand painted
acrylic texture over the top. I liked
this color scheme... but it just wasn't
what I was going for... you can tell me
which one you like better. I can't really
say I like one more than the other. They
both have thier different qualities I enjoy.
















At this point I flattened the image and
played with the hue and saturation levels
until I got the feel I was looking for.
















And there you have it. Nothing really too
complex, just a little Photoshop wizardry...

...nevermind the man behind the curtain.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ester Wilson said...

so cool! I would never have thought that's how you made this. I am in love with the red image! (But it may be my personal preference for red, and no other reason). Really cool - thanks for sharing :)

4:28 午後  
Blogger Sail said...

I really like the red one as well, I think it might 'pop' a bit more... I dunno. I honestly had a very hard time choosing, and debated just posting both versions... which is kinda why I posted the stages of this. You know, a good excuse to post both. I like the grey scale version too.

Out of curiosity, how would you have thought I made this?

4:44 午後  
Blogger Ester Wilson said...

i thought it was made with blue inks out of a pen or brush, with a watercolor wash over the body and background with the same color (maybe using a watercolor or ink wash). Then scanning into photoshop to add the flower print, fading the edges of the print near the edges of her shirt. It's beautiful though. Amazing how differently everyone works, yet achieves beautiful pieces in their own way. Very cool Sail :)

6:47 午後  
Blogger Sail said...

I NEVER draw with anything other than black ink. Period. (except the occasional white ink)

The interesting thing about doing a stages post is that I don't really do anything the same way (except black ink.). This is about how I did this piece, it's not at all applicable to the rest of my work.

Glad you enjoyed it.

7:28 午後  

コメントを投稿

<< Home